Around here we're fortunate enough to get time off school before Christmas. This year was different than previous years in that the kids were BORED and didn't want to go do anything. Carson especially seemed like he just wanted to go back to school. To try to help them we did a handful of crafts.
They LOVED making their snowflakes but we ended up needing hot glue instead of standard glue so they couldn't do it as independently as we'd have liked. Kayda's is the top right, Carson's is left and Dillon's is the bottom.
Carson's favorite was making the no-sew penguins. He thought they were a blast to play with and I had to keep tracking them down around the house.
Dillon and Kayda took it upon themselves to make a nativity out of legos. I thought it turned out pretty well! The sheep are my favorite part!
They also colored nativities, I tried really hard to make sure we talked about Christ more this year and the kids loved talk about him. Kayda was especially interested and wanted to read about it straight from the Bible. She was the only kiddo who didn't actually finish her nativity. Her hand got too sore and then we forgot about it.
Of course we HAD to make sugar cookies. I was very relieved when I brought them to Christmas Eve dinner and they disappeared! I seemed to be the only one eating them at home! The kids LOVED cutting and decorating. Dillon cracked me up because he wanted to be sure there were the same number of gingerbread men as there were gingerbread women so they could all be married.
One night we went to a live nativity story that was put on by a local church. It wasn't all lined up exactly as I would've thought but it was close enough for the kids. They got a kick out of it, even if it was REALLY cold out. They had a market place, King Herod, the angels singing for the shepherds, live animals at the manger and the story was told as you went from one scene to the next.
Last but not least we HAD to do gingerbread houses! I cheated and used graham crackers and hot glued them together! Kayda was very meticulous about her house. Everything needed to make sense and she wanted it to have a very specific look. Dillon made his into a fun house with a pool and everything. Then there was Carson. His favorite candy to use was the gummy bears, he had them sliding off the roof and falling into piles and he gave his house a mohawk. Pretty soon Dillon and Carson were talking about the traps around their houses and creating elaborate stories about what would happen if people came to visit. Kayda made it quite clear that she would never go to their houses and that she didn't think they should have traps.


















No comments:
Post a Comment