Saturday, November 18, 2017

Dillon's soccer and banquet

This kid is awesome!  He didn't get many opportunities to do much other than play goal keeper because he was, by far, the best on the team.  He really wanted to try his hand at forward and he worked really hard to do it.  He got to play it a couple of times and showed huge improvements each time.  He is very naturally a defensive player but he was determined to figure out how to be offensive too.  That being said, I absolutely LOVE watching this kid play goalie.  He has a certain stance, he puts his legs shoulder width, bends his knees and hunches in with his arms curled, almost like a muscle pose, and he gets this look of determination.  He bounces around in the goal box cheering his team on, often kicking as if he's right there with his team and he blocks.  We had a really hard time getting Dillon to understand just how much he does for his team as keeper.  So we counted.  In one game he made over 15 blocks, 2 got past him.  The coach and the parents are always amazed, he manages to make blocks that boggle our minds.  If you get this kid set up with a couple of good defenders and you're set.  He really wants to score a goal, which I completely understand.  We're trying to get him to understand that making one goal is less important than blocking MANY goals.  Most of the games were really CJ and Dillon.  Dillon blocked goals, CJ made goals.  The other players were there and participated... a few made a couple of goals during the season... but in my mind CJ and Dillon were the deciding factors.   


With Coach Austin



Go Cheetahs!

I have some videos of his blocks.  Daddy was usually reffing and I didn't think to video, so this is just in one game.  I'm really sad because the shortest video is one of his good blocks, the kid was pretty far away so I had stopped recording and started again quickly when I realized where the ball was going.  You can see his throws a couple of times too.  It always took the other team by surprise when the ball would go sailing past the half way mark.



Here's the best one.  He had several like it thought the season.



These obviously aren't Dillon but this is how Carson spent a lot of Dillon's games.  He was pretty much always with Ty.  A lot of the times he was off running around but I got a kick out of it when they'd squeeze in together.


No comments: