Since this is Kayda's last year in elementary school, she got to go to fifth grade camp. I was able to go as one of the parent chaperones. I was assigned to stations, none of which were at the time Kayda was there, but I had a few free times I was able to spend with her. She ended up in a different cabin then her besties (Miracle and Adrienne). She had four amazing counselors! I heard multiple times about how great Kayda is. Her cabin named themselves the "purple llama platypi". They got to perform a skit, they chose the "invisible bench" routine. Each kid comes out and "sits" on an imaginary bench. The last kid comes out and asks "What are you doing?". They reply "sitting on the invisible bench". The last kid says "I moved it yesterday" and all the kids fall down.
We weren't supposed to take pictures, the principal was supposed to be taking, screening and sharing them. There are multiple students that can't be photographed. Those photos were never shared so this is all I've got.
I could take this picture since none of the kids were visible.
I asked her what her favorite part was and all she says is "everything". In my opinion, her favorite part was dissecting the owl pellets. She collected extra bones from other kids too in the hopes of making a complete skeleton at home. Another hit was the was a paper airplane station. She said she was disappointed with their nature hike. It was really just a walk in the woods, no information was shared beyond "watch out for stinging nettles" but they weren't pointed out clearly. It was supposed to have a ropes course but unfortunately the facility cancelled that at the last minute. Apparently the facility tried to cancel the whole camp the week before it was supposed to happen...but because a contract was signed they had to accommodate the school. It was pretty disappointing in a lot of ways but she had fun despite all the let downs
As parents we were allowed to choose jobs. One we had all decided to do was night watch and morning wake ups. Some of us moms decided it would be great fun to get sweatshirts. We ended up not getting to do the jobs we thought but had fun anyway. I think we had even more fun than the kids! Kayda wasn't the only one that got to make new friends! We did a skit of our own too. As part of it we did the dance move "flossing". The kids thought it was hilarious. Daddy "banned" it from our house because our kids were doing it constantly. So when I did it Kayda was super excited. She told her brothers so they were asking me to do it too.
It was a fun time for sure, a lot of ways it could've been better but Kayda came home happy which is all that really matters.




No comments:
Post a Comment