Sunday, June 6, 2021

Mom's moving up!

Two years at the middle school.  Two very odd years.  "Unprecedented"...I hate that word so much at this point.  Anyway.  In March we were asked to sign our letters of intent to return.  In the survey you complete, they ask if you'd like to be considered for a transfer.  I knew a few things, the advanced math class at the middle school would be absorbed by the high school since there were only 4 students (they pretty much eliminated the advance math opportunity), and I REALLY wasn't interested in teaching anything below 8th grade.  I love math, I love algebra and up specifically.  There is not even a little bit of me that enjoys teaching the basics that 6th and 7th graders are still learning.  I also knew that I loved teaching high school kids, and thoroughly enjoyed the math team at the high school.  

I agonized over what to respond.  I like my boss (Dave), I like my team (minus one) and I didn't want to cause drama with anyone knowing I wanted to leave.  I eventually decided that if I didn't request the transfer and a job came open...I would be missing a rare opportunity and it would crush me.  So I spoke with Dave and told him what I was putting in and why.  He was super supportive.  

I tucked all of it into the back of my brain and continued on.  Then, late April, early May I get a call from Martina (a teacher at the high school) asking if I would be interested in moving to the high school.  I was really surprised.  As they were registering for next year they were seeing they had extra sections of math that they needed.  She was interested in going to part time for health reasons and was talking with the principal and math head about possibly making that happen.  Getting a district to approve part time now is really difficult since they have to pay full benefits for those people too.  

Martina, Kayla and Dave were kind of randomly bringing it up.  I still wasn't going to hold my breath.  Then I hear that they have 3 extra sections and if Martina went to part time there would be 2 more, which makes a full time position.  I finally started to get excited, it was near impossible not to.  I start hearing that they've been using my name as the teacher for the master schedule, among other things.  Next thing I know it's being announced that I'm moving over there!  When contracts came out I got to sign one with the high school listed as the location!

I'm super excited!  Sad to leave most of my coworkers but high school is my happy place to teach.  

I tried to grab some photos before school ended but only got a couple. 

Mike and Jenn.  Mike was my across the hall neighbor, he, Sam and I spent every passing period chatting as we greeted kids.  

Throw in Sheri (my neighbor) and Elliot that was just down the hall. 

My very empty, boring classroom.  As I heard more about moving schools I kept taking more things down.  It actually took the students longer than I thought to figure out it was different!

Emily!  This lady made me feel so good when I was subbing there.  She kept telling me that it felt like I belonged there when I came in.  It was almost an "Oh yeah, you need a key" because she seemed to think I should have one already.   Turns out she's moving to Texas, I'm jealous. 

This picture is of Sam and I from the yearbook.  It has a story I want to remember so I'm sharing it.  Sam was a newbie teacher in 2019 when I started working there.  Almost every time he came out into the hall he would have his yard stick and he'd just be hitting it against his hand or swinging it around.  Then comes our development days and we're in observing another teacher.  He went over to her cubbies, found a ruler and was doing the same thing!  He could not resist a ruler.  So one day, I discovered that I had 8 yard sticks in one of my cupboards.  I came walking out with them swinging them around to the best of my ability.  They happened to snap the picture.  It was always an inside joke after that.  He and Mike were great fun to chat with every hour.  I'll definitely miss that. 

I found out they're moving another teacher to give me a classroom in the same area as the other math teachers.  I knew the building was full so I thought I'd end up in a portable.  It's cool that I'll get to be with them all at the high school. 

No comments: