Kayda was due to come November 13th. Once the due date passed I had to go in for regular check ups. There would be non-stress tests where they hooked up machines to listen to her heartbeat and to check for contractions. They would have me drink juice to get her going and then I'd sit... and sit... and sit. The last one we had to go to ended up being on Thanksgiving. It ended up taking a ridiculous amount of time, I'm pretty sure they forgot about us for a while.
The morning of November 27th came, it was two weeks past due. They really don't want the baby in the womb longer than that. So I went in for my appointment that morning, we packed everything we needed planning to be induced that day. She was coming out no matter what. We went in, everything was fine and I was given a choice, wait until tomorrow when my OB could be there, or go ahead and induce that day. We had been prepared and planned for that day so opted to do that.
I wrote this story before, when Kayda turned two. Since I'm writing this when she is almost 11 now I think I'll mostly copy and paste! It's obviously repetitive but I'd rather be accurate!
"They started the meds at 11:00 in the morning (turns out I was having contractions I couldn't feel every 12 minutes), they broke my water at 12:45 but things didn't really start getting going until 1:30 when I actually started to feel the contractions. I got an epidural about an hour or so after that because I was only about 3 cm and didn't know how long it would take.
It was the day of the big ice storm so Grandma Peggy couldn't make it down to see us, Grandma G was there, Grandpa G and Uncle Justin came down to visit and left before the roads got too bad. Grandpa Mike had to park at the bottom of the hill and hiked across the overpass to the hospital to come visit (he brought McDonald's for Daddy, it fell in the snow but Daddy still ate it!). Grandpa Mike should have stayed a little longer than he did and he would've gotten to meet you, it would've been better than the 3 hour drive home!!! Grandma G was with us the whole time.
It was time for the nurses to change shifts right as I started pushing at 11:18pm. Since the nurses were in the middle of a shift change and first time moms usually push for a long time Daddy held one of my legs while Grandma G held the other so I could keep pushing while they changed nurses.
By now the epidural was starting to wear off to be that pins and needles numb feeling so I could kind of feel the contractions. By the time our nurse had gotten the other up to speed they came over to check me and she was crowning, we were ready to call the doctor. I could feel enough that when the nurse was tapping me saying "push down here" I was able to comply. Since people were stranded at the hospital and the nurse that had been there didn't think she could get home we had several sets of nurses in the room when she was born at 11:48pm. The nurse that had been with me all day had specifically asked if she could stay to see the baby.
Kayda weighed 8lbs 10oz and was 19.5 inches long. They set her on my stomach for Daddy to cut the umbilical cord. Then Daddy went over to video tape her being measured and weighed. By that time I was feeling really tired, I kind of felt like I was in a tunnel and all I wanted to do was go to sleep. It turns out I had a lot of small tears that needed to be stitched up. The tears made my blood pressure go down extremely low. Dr. Duncan had to stop stitching so they could lay me back and prop up my legs to get the blood up where it's needed most. It took a few minutes but I felt better. Though I was still very tired. This gave Daddy a scare for sure! We didn't name her right away, we waited until the next morning when I was a little more alert (Daddy was pretty tired by now too). Kayda spent her first night in her Grandma G's arms in the rocking chair, with the exception of when she needed to eat."
By now the epidural was starting to wear off to be that pins and needles numb feeling so I could kind of feel the contractions. By the time our nurse had gotten the other up to speed they came over to check me and she was crowning, we were ready to call the doctor. I could feel enough that when the nurse was tapping me saying "push down here" I was able to comply. Since people were stranded at the hospital and the nurse that had been there didn't think she could get home we had several sets of nurses in the room when she was born at 11:48pm. The nurse that had been with me all day had specifically asked if she could stay to see the baby.
Kayda weighed 8lbs 10oz and was 19.5 inches long. They set her on my stomach for Daddy to cut the umbilical cord. Then Daddy went over to video tape her being measured and weighed. By that time I was feeling really tired, I kind of felt like I was in a tunnel and all I wanted to do was go to sleep. It turns out I had a lot of small tears that needed to be stitched up. The tears made my blood pressure go down extremely low. Dr. Duncan had to stop stitching so they could lay me back and prop up my legs to get the blood up where it's needed most. It took a few minutes but I felt better. Though I was still very tired. This gave Daddy a scare for sure! We didn't name her right away, we waited until the next morning when I was a little more alert (Daddy was pretty tired by now too). Kayda spent her first night in her Grandma G's arms in the rocking chair, with the exception of when she needed to eat."











No comments:
Post a Comment