Saturday, September 1, 2012

No More Training Wheels

Since we got home from our last camping trip it has been in Kayda's and Dillon's heads to practice riding their bikes without training wheels.  So we FINALLY had an evening with time to do it.  Daddy, Dillon and Carson were off choosing a movie for movie night and Kayda and I had finished a couple of chores so I decide "Might as well go out and get the training wheels off."  Then I decide "Well, it won't hurt to let Kayda practice a little before Daddy gets back."  So she gets her tennis shoes on, climbs on the bike and I explain to her how to choose which foot to push with and which foot to start pedalling with.  So I'm holding onto her sides a bit and then she starts, I'm jogging a long beside her and within 5 feet I am NOT holding onto her at all and she makes it all the way down the driveway, a good 30 feet.  WHAT!?!  Last time we tried was at Taidnapam and she was NOWHERE close to being able to do it.  So I'm thinking "Where did this come from?!"  We try again.  Off she goes no problem!  So I started working with her on turning and talking to her about how to stop, you know use your brakes and when you start to tip put a foot down.  Holy Cow!  I am SO surprised. 

At this point Daddy still isn't home yet so we go inside and make some phone calls (thanks Grandmas for being SO excited for her).   She told Grandma H that she "Surprised herself!". When Daddy gets home Kayda and I have a secret.  I tell Daddy "I got the training wheels off so lets practice a bit before it gets too dark."  So he gets all ready to help her and she takes off again...SURPRISE DADDY she can ride her bike without training wheels... magically.  Seriously it was like she threw a switch!

So once she has shown off for Daddy we get Dillon on his (I'd already taken off his training wheels too).  He gets on there and is a little wobbly with Daddy jogging beside him holding onto his sides.  "Pedal faster Dillon" so he does.  Next thing you know he's making it 10-15 feet without help and stopping without help!  He still needs to learn how to turn and how to start but WAY TO GO!!!  So we now have TWO resident training wheel-free kiddos!  We are so excited for them!

Of course I have no pictures because I really didn't expect tonight to be that "Magic night".  I figured there would be a few more trial runs than this.

No comments: