Friday, April 19, 2013

Nicknames

Growing up I was never big on nicknames, some people called me Meg, Megs, or Meggers.  None of them ever really stuck.  I have always been Megan.  Daddy never really had a nickname either.  His given name was his name, end of story.  In our marriage we would rarely call each other anything other than our names or "Mommy" or "Daddy" for the kids.  Yet, somehow when it comes to our children there are not enough endearments.  Here is a list of all the endearments we have used for our kids throughout the years.

Sweetie
Sunshine
Munchkin
Monster
Stinker
Lovey
Lovebug
Bug
Sweetheart
Beautiful
Gummy Bear
Bugger
Buddy/Bud
Sweetie pie
Stud
Raccoon
Pixie
Gorgeous

Geez, I know there are more and yet somehow I'm drawing a blank.  This will have to be an evolving post!

Anyways, back to the point.  Even in all of that they still do not have what I would classify as "nicknames".  Kayda is Kayda, Dillon is Dillon.  But now there is a new development.  More and more frequently I am hearing Kayda and Dillon refer to Carson as "cars" not the word cars but carsss with the actual s sound, not the z sound of cars.  Daddy and I still call him Carson, but Kayda and Dillon are well on their way to giving him an actual nickname!

Thoughts from Papa H:

"When they were growing up, I used to call Brian “Bub” or Bubber”.  Not sure where that came from, but I was pretty consistent with it.

Even today I’ll occasionally catch myself wanting to call Brian “Bubber”.  And that’s always my first inclination with Dillon.

Now, I tend to call all my Grandsons, “Bud”, and my Granddaughters “Sweetie” or ”Sweets”.  But that’s more a reflection of an aging memory than a tradition!!!  J "

No comments: