We're getting a new bird! We have spent a while mourning the loss of Mingo, Kayda in particular struggled with it. A few weeks after he died we realized that we wanted another bird. That we loved having Mingo and that we wanted to be parrot owners again. So I set about researching. I decided that a Meyer's parrot was the best option. They are smaller than Mingo was, tend to be more even tempered and love LOTS of people (provided you socialize them just like any other animal). Now, I don't believe in coincidences any longer. That has been beaten out of me many a time. So when I started searching for a breeder (pet stores wouldn't sell these birds, they're pretty hard to get) and there was only one with an online presence, which happened to be about 20 minutes from our house, and they had two baby Meyer's coming (one of which was already purchased). I knew I had to go. We waited until after the babies got there and headed off to visit on the 11th of this month.
Here are the two babies, the bigger one is two days older than the other. We took our whole family to go see the birds, we held many different birds but none of them sparked even the tiniest of interest. The only one that got a reaction was a male eclectus (Mingo's breed). She gave one to me to hold and I nearly broke down. Anyway, we went into another room where the Meyer's were, they had arrived the day before so they isolate the babies until they know they are healthy. We were able to hold both Meyer's. The reason they had them was because someone specifically requested a Meyer's, there were two so the breeder went ahead and got both. We were to get second choice... I loved one of them, the older of the two, it let Carson hold it and didn't freak out when all of the kids gathered around it. The younger one was more skittish, trying to fly off even when it was a calm, quiet adult holding it. We decided that if we could have the older one we wanted it in our family. The other one we would have to visit more to decide. We didn't think we had much hope, thinking that the older one was so much more appealing. Somehow the other couple chose the younger one! Again, I don't believe in coincidences.
Here's our new bird. We just found out today that it's a boy (they have to dna test most parrots, Mingo was one of the few breeds that you don't). We've been able to visit him several times but he is still being weaned. He will be coming home on February 1st. His name is Tido. His hatch date is 11/7/13. Kayda is very excited that his "birthday" is in her month.


No comments:
Post a Comment