I've been wanting to try backpacking again for quite some time so Kellina and I planned to go on a one night, relatively easy one. Kayda is getting big enough that she wanted to go with us. We packed and planned and kept her pack as light as possible. We decided on Packwood Lake. It's only a couple hours away, it's relatively flat, and only 4.5 miles one way.
It was pretty fun walking behind Kayda. She looked like a backpack with legs and arms. You could not see any other part of her body.
Me being me, I had to set up camp before we did anything else. The only problem was that by the time we were set up Kayda was hungry and then it was too cool to swim!
Kayda did venture into to the lake to filter water for us. She thought it was great fun and filled up all our containers, including the 2 liter one Kellina had.
Kellina and I fiddled with the packs before it got dark. They fit much better. I still need to adjust them some more but we'll figure that out when we're ready to go again, which Kayda says she wants to do.
It rained most of the night, a summer with barely a cloud and it had to choose this weekend to rain... Can't really say I'm surprised. Because of the rain, Kayda wasn't too keen on sticking around come morning and Kellina wasn't too interested in coming out of her tent. I woke up, unable to go back to sleep so I got up, in the rain, and managed to get a fire going. It was a pretty good fire too until Kayda told me she wanted to go and I had to step away to pack up.
The hike back went much smoother. We had to take it a little slower than we wanted to because of Kellina's asthma but we still got back a lot faster than we got in. The packs were resting much better on our hips thank goodness. It ended up being a pretty good trip. There are definitely some things I need to do differently to be more comfortable; a couple things I'd like to buy to make being around camp a little more comfortable. But we had fun and like I said, Kayda wants to go again. Dillon gets the next trip though.













No comments:
Post a Comment