Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Carving Pumpkins!!!


The kids have been home sick with me the last two days but it seems like they're starting to feel better so off to school tomorrow.  We have yet to make time for pumpkin carving so we finally got it done tonight!  This, of course, is always a favorite activity for the kids.  Kayda's first halloween she was almost one and she LOVED the gooey mess.  She dug right in and splattered it all over our kitchen. She turned her white onesie orange with all her enthusiasm.  The two boys... they have never enjoyed the guts and still don't.  Dillon was willing to try scooping out the pumpkin guts this year but quickly asked me to take over.  Carson didn't even want to try reaching into the pumpkin.  He just happily held his spoon.
For Carson I followed the same routine I used to for Kayda and Dillon.  I drew different eyes, noses and mouths from which Carson chose his pumpkin.  Then I did everything else for him.  Though he did get a hold of a little knife and enjoyed stabbing the side of his pumpkin after it was all carved.  

Kayda worked VERY hard to do everything herself for the first time.  She drew on the face she wanted, cut the top, made a valiant effort to get the goo out (I had to help some in the end) and then carved it all herself!

Dillon was able to do more than last year!  He cut the top, made me deal with the guts, then carved the eyes before getting frustrated and asking me to finish the mouth and nose.  He did got back after watching Daddy do his pumpkin to add some "finishing details".







 Carson's pumpkin!\
 Dillon's pumpkin! (It was spying on Kayda's pumpkin)

 Kayda's pumpkin! (Her pumpkin is sneaking up on Daddy's pumpkin)


I chose to have three little pumpkins instead of one big one this year.  The three little ones running from Peter Pumpkin, pumpkin eater are mine (the little white one actually has bites chomped out of it already).  Peter Pumpkin is Daddy's.  Every now and again we have fun coordinating our carvings.  It was a great time, creating a great mess and we look forward to doing it again next year!

No comments: